Monday, December 22, 2014

What Was It Like?

Have you ever stopped to think about what it must have been like on the night that Jesus was born?  What were Mary and Joseph thinking?  Were they scared, excited, worried, and un-sure?  I am pretty certain that they were feeling all of the above.  I know that when my first child was born I sure was.  It was such an exciting time but yet I was so scared. 

In Luke 2 the Bible reads:
6 And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth. 7 And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling clothes and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.


One of my favorite songs is “O Holy Night”.  Many times when I sing this song, I try to close my eyes and envision what it might have looked like on that special night.  Were the stars shining?  Was it cold?  Were people around watching them?  So many things go through my mind. They knew the angel had told Mary that she would give birth to a son and that she was to call him Jesus, but don’t you think that they were thinking so much more?  I can only imagine that there must have been such an awesome feeling in the air.  What a calm and reverence there must have been.  


I want to challenge each and every one of us this Christmas to stop and think about what a Holy Night it truly was and how blessed we are.  Each and every day is a gift from God. 


Sherrie

No comments:

Post a Comment