Tuesday, September 15, 2015

The Pursuit of Perfectionism

I tend to be a major perfectionist. Sometimes that’s a good thing, but most of the time it’s a bad thing. I really beat myself up if I don't do something exactly how I had planned and I beat myself up the most when I mess up during a performance of some sort. That can be a major pride thing for me. I am slowly, but surely learning that I shouldn't be this way. Yes, I do need to be concerned about doing the best that I can, but I don't need to be angry with myself or anyone else if something doesn't go exactly as I had planned. 

I have recently been thinking about perfectionism in the church setting. If something doesn't go exactly how we had practiced or planned on a Sunday or Wednesday it is so easy to get completely caught up in the mistake/mistakes. It’s easy to think, “Well that ruined the moment.” But did it really ruin the moment? It’s interesting because when I’m watching people perform or lead something and they mess up I find it endearing. It’s actually encouraging to me to see that they are real people who are trying their best, but sometimes come up short. I have to remind myself that when I am beating myself up about my mistakes I am taking my focus off of God and putting it back on myself. That is most definitely a sin.

Perfectionism is a delusion. The bible says in Romans 3:23, “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” and Ecclesiastes 7:20 says, “Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins.”

We are not perfect people so that makes it pretty hard to accomplish everything perfectly. This can be a touchy subject because it’s easy to fall into the world of, “Only God is perfect so we shouldn't even try.” That is a commonly preached misconception. The Bible says in Matthew 5:48, “You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” We are to strive to be like our Heavenly Father with the understanding that it is okay if we have times of failure. Ultimately, the glory is to be given to God no matter what happens.

I am learning to give up the pursuit of perfectionism and pursue giving the glory to God at all times. In the long run I think that will be a lot more rewarding and a lot less frustrating. I am so thankful to have a perfect Savior to set the example for us. We have been made pure by Him and now we must continue to strive to be like Him in all things. The next time you have a mess up moment remember that the glory is to be given to God! He is the reason we are hereJ.


Kandace 

No comments:

Post a Comment