Monday, December 28, 2015

Heart of Worship

Have you ever had a time in your life when God seemed distant?   A time when you felt as though you were going through the motions and missing the whole purpose in the “Why?”  I know I have.  A few years ago, a friend shared with me that her church was hosting a ladies retreat and encouraged me to come.  I thought to myself, with the busy weekend ahead, all the reasons I didn’t need to go, but then I thought of all the reasons I did.  I needed a renewal of heart-a rekindling of a flame as I worshipped and spent time with Jesus, but now seemed to be more like a spark than anything else. 

As I began driving across the mountain that day, I began seeking God and asking him to open my heart for worship.  I prayed and asked God to reveal to me His heart.  In this process, I saw mine.  I saw how the motions of my worship were just that…motions. I saw how my “faithfulness” had not really been faithful.   It was in these moments, God laid the words of this song on my heart:

When the Music fades all is stripped away and I simply come. 
Longing just to bring something that’s of worth
That will bless your heart. 
I’ll bring you more than a song
For a song in itself is not what you have required. 
You search much deeper within through the way things appear.
You’re looking into my heart. 
I’m coming back to the Heart of Worship
When it’s all about you.  It’s all about you Jesus. 
I’m sorry Lord for the thing I’ve made it.
When it’s all about you.  It’s all about you Jesus. 

I knew “the Heart of Worship” was not where I had been. I thought about these words and I began to sing.  That day there was no music, only my shaking voice as tears ran down my cheeks. I began to bring him more than a song-I brought my heart. I found my worship in the surrender.  Sometimes I think that’s where we get lost-somewhere between the words, and the surrender.

“He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less”-John 3:30

He wants our worship and our relationship not to be motivated by obligation or duty, but to be motivated by love-no matter what, because it’s not about me.

“You will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul”-Deuteronomy 4:29

When we seek Him in our worship, whether it is at church, or anywhere else, even in a car alone, we will find him. 
As we begin the new year, let us resolve to allow God to have a greater more meaningful presence in our lives, and that through our surrender, we would truly come to experience the Heart of Worship.  

Vicky



No comments:

Post a Comment