Monday, January 18, 2016

The Lord is My Strength and My Song...

As I sit to write, I find myself at a loss for words. I had an entirely different plan for today’s blog and have had it for quite some time, but “Life Happened”.

My grandmother passed away this morning and while it was expected, one can’t quite numb the emotion that comes along with the death of a loved one. She lived a long life, and she knew Christ. Those things bring me joy, but sadness still exists.

Today, as I prepared a few songs for her funeral Exodus 15:2 came to mind. 

"The LORD is my strength and my song,
    and he has become my salvation;
this is my God, and I will praise him,
    my father's God, and I will exalt him.”

In my 33 years, the Lord has been my strength nonstop in the midst of impossible circumstances, but I never thought of him as my song.  I sing for him and love to do so, but I never quite thought of him as the song itself. His entire existence is filled with such wonder, power, beauty, love, and grace; why would I have never viewed him in this way?

I sing because he loves me. I sing because he died to give me life. I sing because he gave me the ability to do so. I sing to bring him honor and glory. So of course He is my song!
As I prepared the hymns I am to sing, I received such comfort. With tears pouring down my cheeks, I offered him my praise. I received peace as I sang “It Is Well with My Soul” and I received joy as I sang “How Great Thou Art”. My heart hurts, but I had joy. I realized that I had taken the ability to receive such comfort immediately from Christ through song for granted. 

How powerful the gift of music is and how blessed I am to be able to share that with a hurting world. I am honored not only to sing as we lay my grandmother to rest, but I get to share the gospel with my lost family members in a powerful way.  I get to belt out that Christ is returning, that he has provided peace beyond understanding, and that He gave his life so I can live.

It is my prayer that you all understand the love Christ has for you. Your world may seem dreary and filled with obstacles... but Christ is your strength when you can’t seem to get through them on your own. You may have heartbreak that you think can’t be mended…but He is your Song in those times of grief. He loves you and He is for you. Stand firm in His promises and share Him with a hurting world.


Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment