Monday, April 11, 2016

The Battle Belongs to the Lord

I have been in a battle lately.   A battle that often consumes my thoughts, deprives me of sleep and fills me with fear.  And because I know how the great deceiver works, I know I am not the only one facing battles today.   It is during these times of battle that I find solace in music.  I am so thankful for the gift of music and God’s word reminds us He can use music to help us overcome battles.

King Jehoshaphat was in a battle and the reality looked grim for him and the nation of Judah.  Neighboring countries had banded together and were marching against him.  The strategic plan would be to send an army of men armed with arrows and swords to the front lines to protect the nation of Judah.  But instead, Jehoshaphat did what any great king would do.  He established a choir.  A what?  Yes, the king armed his men with songs.  Marching into battle, they sang “Give thanks to the Lord!  His love never ends!”  (2 Chronicles 20:21) The enemy became so confused by the sound of their praise they began to fight one another and by the time the choir reached the battlefield, the entire enemy was dead.   The choir returned to Jerusalem in the same manner as they came into the battle, singing songs of praise to God with harps and lyres and trumpets.  (2 Chronicles 20:28)

This story reminds me that the battle isn’t mine.  “Do not be afraid! Don’t be discouraged by this mighty army, for the battle is not yours, but God’s”. (2 Chronicles 20:15) 

Are you in a battle today?  When God’s children sing or play music to Him, it moves the heart of God and He chases away the enemy.  No matter what you are going through, no matter what battle you may be facing, sing songs of praise to the Lord and you will see the enemy defeated. 

Shelley
 

No comments:

Post a Comment