Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Making a Difference?

I have recently been blessed with a new job with Lowe’s Home Improvement.  This is actually my second go around with the corporate office, but I find myself in a different department this time.  So far, I really enjoy being a supervisor in my department as well as the new focus on values that Lowe’s has adopted.  I didn’t expect that the Lord would lead me back to Lowe’s as I have a strong calling to perform some sort of mission work for the kingdom in which I could truly make a difference in our world.  I thought for sure that Samaritan’s Purse would be on my horizon, but that didn’t quite pan out as I had prayed.  Could it be that I can accomplish just as much for the Lord at Lowe’s as I could with Samaritan's Purse?

During my first 6 six weeks, God has already shown me that I can. Despite working for a retailer that survives because of the not-so-mighty dollar, I have found that I can in fact be a difference maker.  In matter of fact, my own boss has told me that he doesn’t expect me to become a subject matter expert in my department as much as he simply wants me to be me.  How cool is that?  My new team needs a leader who can encourage, engage, equip and empower.  It is my goal to implement our core values into each of my team member’s work-lives.  These values include:  being a part of something bigger, being who you say you are, giving your best, and making a difference in someone’s day every day.

I love serving people.  I love being Jesus day in and day out.  While I don’t have the freedom to proclaim the Gospel out loud to my office, I love having the ability of being who God has created me to be.  Lowe’s has changed, and from what I can tell, it has definitely been for the better. 

But am I truly making a difference for God?  

I assist with upset customers who aren’t getting what they want, exactly how they want it or when they want it.  They kick and they scream until they get what they want.  Sometimes they are successful, sometimes they are not.  It all seems so menial in the bigger picture of life and eternity.  Especially now since I have been placed back into the workforce that has taken time away from my family, the church and our worship team.  All areas where I felt that I was making a difference…every day.  Thankfully, I know of a song (go figure) by the group Needtobreathe that has become my anthem since going back to work. The chorus goes:

Oh I am a difference maker.  Oh I am the only one who speaks to him. Oh I am the friendliest of friends of God.

Can it really be this simple?  I believe that it can.  By acknowledging everyone that I come across, by sharing a smile and a simple “nice to see you today”, by treating them like they matter, I can live out the Gospel without preaching it.  I once heard something on the radio that has forever implanted in my brain.  The speaker said that I might be the only Jesus that people encounter today.  As long as I am focusing on being Christ, it will be visible by everyone and then the Holy Spirit can do what he does best…impact lives.

Our Great Commission is for us to go and make disciples of ALL nations.  Each of us have the ability to impact a different piece of the nations, in all different kinds of settings.  If you find yourself questioning the significance of what you do, just as I find myself doing, return your focus to Jesus.  I promise that it is that simple.  He will remind you of what it is that He wants you to accomplish for Him.  Just look at the lives that He was able to make a difference in by simply acknowledging and speaking to them.  I think Matthew would attest to this.

Go make a difference in someone’s life today! 

Have a blessed week,

Scott

Here is the song if you would like to take a listen:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/188001333

No comments:

Post a Comment