Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Is the Future of the Choir in the Past?


I'm in Gatlinburg, Tennesee this week for a worship conference put on by Lifeway Worship.  One of the major points of emphasis of the conference is the importance of the choir.  I totally agree.  I think that choirs are an extremely important element in corporate worship and a wonderful way to get people in church involved in ministry.  But that's not the way they are being presented and utilized here.  

So far, I've seen 2 choirs perform here and that's exactly what they were:  performances.  They were billed as
"worship" times, but were in reality, just opportunities to show off.  Don't get me wrong.  They were excellent choirs.  Very talented and extremely prepared.  But they just performed for us.  At no point in time were we invited to participate with them.  

Is that the future of choirs? I'm going to be honest with you.  It kind of feels like the past.  That's what choirs were doing when I was a kid.  Where is the corporate worship?  Where is the worship leading?  A choir is supposed to enhance our worship.  They are supposed to encourage, inspire and lead us in worship, not worship for us. 

Here's the thing, I don't have it all figured out.  Music and worship ministry is changing all the time.  And I'm like everyone else, I'm just trying to figure it all out.   But listening and watching people here, you'd think the best course of action for the future of music ministry is to revert back to 1975:  choir robes, anthems and organ music.  There's got to be a better way.

That's one of the reasons that I'm so grateful for our choir at MPBC. They love to lead in worship.  I really do believe it is their favorite thing to do.  Now, that doesn't mean that they won't ever do a "special" during a service.  In fact, I'm planning on them doing one each month during our First Wednesday services beginning in the fall.  They will also participate in our Christmas Candlelight Celebration in December and lead most of the songs during the 2018 Mt. Pleasant Passion Play. But, their main role is to lead, inspire and encourage in worship.  And that's what they do BEST!

Worship Big!

Brad




No comments:

Post a Comment