Monday, November 24, 2014

Get to the Table



     With this being the week of Thanksgiving, I would be remiss if I didn’t talk about this particular holiday.  So, in short, my blog will not be about music or worship.  So, if that’s what you are looking for you can stop now.  According to Webster’s dictionary, Thanksgiving Day is “A national holiday set apart for giving thanks to God, celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States, and on the second Monday of October in Canada”.   To begin with I didn’t even know that Canada celebrated Thanksgiving on a different day, who knew?  O Well I have learned something for the day.  Thanksgiving, a day to give thanks to God, shouldn’t that be every day?  I am so blessed that I don’t know where to begin, but I often fail to give God the thanks for the things in my life.  Every day we wake up we are blessed and we should thank God for the opportunity to live another day.  Colossians 3:17 says “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the father through him.” No matter what we do every day it is because God allows us to do it, so give Him thanks! 
 
     What are you thankful for and do we really realize how much we are blessed by God.  As Americans we are spoiled and often confuse our wants with our needs.  The majority of us have our needs met, we have warm homes, plenty of food and the list goes on and on.  The problem is that society tells us that we should have what we want.  So, now Thanksgiving is becoming a time not to be with family but yet another day to begin the frenzy of shopping for Christmas.  Can’t we just slow down!  Thinking back on my childhood, the stores were not even open on Sunday’s much less Thanksgiving Day.  Thanksgiving Day used to be a day where families gathered together to enjoy each other and reflect on how blessed they were.  I remember my Grandfather “Pop” loved to eat, not just at Thanksgiving but every day, he really enjoyed good food and being with family.  Anytime my Grandmother “Grammy” would have a meal ready he would yell out “Get to the table”, that meant that it was time to eat and he was going to eat with our without you because he was hungry.  Those are great memories and I love to “Get to the table” myself.   Pop also loved the Lord and another great memory that I have of him is seeing him read the Bible.  Reading the Bible was not as easy as eating for him though, because Pop struggled in his ability to read.  But that didn’t stop him because he was still “hungry” and he was going to fill that desire to be filled.  Pop knew how to slow down and spend time on the important things.  During this Thanksgiving week ask yourself the question: am I hungry?  Not hungry for physical food but for spiritual food, it’s time that we all “Get to the table”.   I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! 

Geoff

No comments:

Post a Comment