Monday, August 15, 2016

Overcoming Stage Fright

I’ll never forget sitting behind the church keyboard back sometime in the fall of 2008 in complete and utter stage fright. I had played the piano at numerous recitals and had sung at countless events, but playing for worship was something entirely new to me. Somehow, Pastor Brad had talked me into playing this “new” song called “Amazing Grace My Chains Are Gone” and I regretted saying “yes” with a vengeance! My thoughts ran wild as the hot light shown over my head.

What if I mess up?

What if I quench the Spirit? 

What if God is really moving and then I suddenly hit a bad key and ruin it all??

Playing is 10 times scarier to me than singing. Somehow the path from my brain to my vocal chords is a lot more “clear” than the path to my fingers. It’s still that way to this day. Over the years I have learned that playing music is rewarding in it’s own unique way from singing. There is something amazing and humbling about actually making the music.
However, those weren’t my thoughts at 14-years-old. So, there I sat in dread. But with shaking fingers I began to play and listening to people worship along with the music I created brought tears to my eyes. The Lord brought me through the panic and from there the path to playing in church broadened and grew. I thank Jesus for those days of being a young teenager and the encouragement of family and friends to play in front of others. I believe I matured in general because of those moments of performance. It’s like they say, “The only way to get better at performing is performing.” 

In the end, we know it’s all about God and if I had messed up, He would have reminded me that I was doing my best for Him. He often reminds me of that now when I mess up… and I do so often!

I say all of this to say, if you have felt led to play an instrument or sing in worship and have been living in the shadow of stage fright or worry of messing up and have therefore you have chosen not to use your gift… I encourage you to give it to God and just try. If you mess up, join the club. See, there is something to be said for being vulnerable before men in order to bring God praise. I believe it pleases Him when we sacrifice our pride and ourselves so that His name is lifted high. It’s all about Him anyway!

Katy  

No comments:

Post a Comment