Thursday, August 25, 2016

Pushing Yourself

The Praise Team recently started learning a new-to-us song called "Victory In Jesus".  It's a rendition by Travis Cottrell that is quite different than the original. (the song is below) When I first heard the song I really liked it and knew for certain that our congregation would love it.  But, this song consisted of something I'm not really all that used to.  That would be slide guitar.  

https://player.vimeo.com/video/180196493

Being 1 of 2 rotating lead electric players at MPBC, I knew I would have to learn it, or come up with something similar at the very least.  For those of you who know me, you could probably guess that slide guitar really isn't my thing.  I've messed around with the technique before, but never really took an interest in it or even that style of music.  However, our other lead guitarist, Robby, loves slide guitar.  He's been playing that style of music and technique for 11 years and is great at it, so I definitely had him show me a few things.  I've slowly been able to pick it up over the last few weeks.

Now, I'm still not great at it and I still don't really like the technique all that much.  It doesn't fit my taste in music or my style.  But, I say all that to say that I wanted to learn it for a couple of reasons:

First, because anything new that I learn that stretches me just makes me a better musician.  Over the years that I've played guitar, I've learned many styles and genres of music just to expand my horizon, whether I liked it or not.(Musicians: you would be amazed at what you pick up when you do that.) 

Secondly and most importantly in this case, I wanted to learn it because I believe that our congregation will enjoy it.  For me, that's what it was about.  As a praise team, we want to present songs that our congregation will enjoy.  If they enjoy the song and are really into it, they will most likely be easier led into the presence of God.  I could have came up with something other than a slide part for this song way easier and in less time than learning slide, but I feel that it would taken the joy away from this particular song. We want to write and present songs that our church will enjoy, songs that the people of MPBC can worship Jesus to.  For me, that's what matters.

Peace,

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment