Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Constant as the Stars

Hi friends! So for this week’s blog post I have decided that I am going to be delving into the topic of change. I can't think of a better example of change than the seasons. Watching the world go by in its cycle of vivid beauty and wonder is ever so peaceful. I adore the seasons of Fall and Winter. To me, they are utterly mesmerizing. Watching the leaves slowly transform from their lush green into brilliant reds, yellows and oranges is a real treasure from my perspective. It is so peaceful to watch snow begin to fall softly to the earth and coat everything in a pure white blanket. Change can be spectacular, but there are certain instances in which change is not so pleasant. There are certain places where change is inconvenient, like... life.

I am a girl who likes her consistency. I have my days planned out and my routines in place. When my schedule is thwarted I have the tendency to get a bit frazzled. However, after spending some time asking God to give me fresh perspective, I have come to accept that everything in the world is continuously changing, even ourselves. The things that we build up and put in place really just exist for us to retreat to when we are trying to provide ourselves with feeble security. Everything in this world is susceptible to the effects of time, and to the effects of that dreaded word: change. But you see, that’s one of the things that I love most about Jesus!  In a world that is fallible, chaotic, and occasionally unforgiving, He is the one thing that remains constant! He stands outside of the mess we know as our world and sweeps down in our moments of need to lift us back up again. His Holy Spirit is with us always, dwelling in our hearts, and because of this, we are constantly being transformed by His goodness.

I have come to conclude that, in a world where happiness is circumstantial, the joy found in Jesus is ever radiant. In a world that is driven by pride and avarice, His goodness draws us to be humble and gracious. In a world where love is sometimes conditional, His love is unending; it is as constant as the stars shining in the heavens. There is nothing like the peace that is found in Jesus Christ!

I was sitting down with the hopes of producing the makings of a song one night, and I was just burdened by the instability of the world. It was then that God impressed these comforting words upon my heart. Though the song is still a work in progress, the chorus goes a little something like this:

No love so sweet
No mercy pure
Could still my heart
Or calm my storm
Here in You
I remain secure
Here I’ll stay 
Forevermore

Sometimes, when I am troubled by change, I am reminded that there is no refuge so reassuring as the loving arms of Jesus. The peace of Jesus is freely extended to us, and is always accessible. His peace is found in His word, through prayer, and (my personal favorite), through worship. Singing to Jesus is almost indescribable. The way it ministers to and heals a person, words fall utterly short in attempting to justly describe it. His presence is so evident whether it be one person, or an entire body seeking to praise Him. It is my belief that congregational worship has this idiosyncratic ability to revive the soul. There is just something so profound about a body of like-minded people gathering together for one purpose: to glorify the Savior of the world. 

I am being absolutely literal when I tell you that singing is how I get through life. I sing to praise God for all that He has done for me, and I find comfort in that. It helps me cope with all the change in this life when I forget the world and focus my endeavors on the fact that the One who spoke the entirety of the world into existence, the One who holds the past, present, and future in His hands, the One whose sheer might goes light years beyond anything that I could possibly begin to comprehend, calls me His own! 

All that I have said comes down to this: We need not worry ourselves with the change of the world. We can accept it with hearts wide open because of the ever-constant nature of Jesus!  I would like to leave you with one of my favorite passages of scripture: “Of old You laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of Your hands.They will perish, but You will remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will change them like a robe, and they will pass away, but You are the same, and Your years have no end. The children of Your servants will dwell secure.” Psalm 102: 25-28. 

Keep Smiling,

Maddie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment